Toronto FC II and Whitecaps FC 2 draw in front of sold out crowd

Toronto FC II travelled west to UBC Thunderbird Stadium for a highly anticipated match against their Canadian rivals.  The match was first at home for Whitecaps FC 2 and was played in front of a sold out house of 3,208.  In the end the match did not disappoint and was full of high speed excitement.

Jason Bent elected with the following 4-4-2 formation which saw a couple surprises.  The first was Canadian International Quillan Roberts starting in goal for the first time this USL Season ahead of Alex Bono.  Roberts was a standout last season with the Wilmington Hammerheads who were the Toronto FC affiliate at the time so it was only a matter of time before he got his share of playing time.  The second was playing forward Mark Anthony Kaye out of position along the back line.  Would these changes prove to be dire?


Goalkeeper:      Quillan Roberts

Defense:             Wesley Charpie, Adam Bouchard, Daniel Fabrizi (Skylar Thomas 62′), Mark Anthony Kaye

Midfield:             Martin Davis (Marco Nunes 46′), Chris Mannella (Manny Aparicio 83′),

Jay Chapman, Raheem Edwards

Forward:             Jordan Hamilton (Edwin Rivas 66’), Molham Babouli

Substitutes Not Used:  Alex Bono, Tarik Robertson, Massimo Mirabelli


Right out of the gate, the Whitecaps FC 2 took control and dominated the first half.  Quillan Roberts did everything but stand on his head to make several close saves and keep TFCII from being blown away early.  Unfortunately for TFCII, Caleb Clarke managed slipped one over and behind Roberts in the 33rd minute.

The second half saw Jay Chapman get his first professional goal and the equalizer for Toronto.  The goal was a beautiful cross from Raheem Edwards that Chapman headed home in the 57th minute.  From there WFC2 went down to ten men once Victor Blasco received two yellow cards only four minutes apart, the 64th and 68th minutes respectively.  Being up a man, TFCII came very close to scoring a winner on two separate occasions.  One was a goal line stop by forward Mackenzie Pridham.  The next came when Marco Nunes missed an open net just a few yards away.  Mark Anthony Kaye then received his second yellow evening the playing field in the 77th minute.

In the end, both earn a point with a 1-1 draw.  A point on the road is a great result for any team in any league which should give TFCII a boost back in confidence.  Their road trip continues next week much closer to home on Saturday, April 25 at 7:00pm against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at Highmark Stadium.  The Riverhounds are neck and neck with TFCII who have five points from four matches which should prove to be a heated matchup.  Also expect to see a few TFCII supporters in Pittsburgh this coming weekend.  And as always, you won’t want to miss Toronto FC II’s next match streaming live on YouTube.

Share this:
Liked it? Take a second to support NSXI on Patreon!
%d bloggers like this: